Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weekend in Dublin: National Wax Museum

On Sunday we again got up early so that we could make the check out time.  Even though we'd checked out we were still allowed to store our stuff in the locker during the day.  Our first stop was Christ Church Cathedral which was conveniently right next to our hostel.  Kayla didn't have her camera during our first visit so we wanted to be sure to stop there.

Perhaps in Another Time My Large Head Would've Been Useful
Then it was on to the National Wax Museum which was also fairly close to our hostel.  All in all we had a lot of fun at the museum, but it was not worth 10 euro.  Although, to be fair, Kayla and I got scared away from the Chamber of Horrors section so maybe that would've made the visit more worth the money.  Either way I'm choosing to look at it as I spent 10 euro on two museums and I would've been willing to pay 5 euro for each of them.

My Precioussssssssssss
My Rightful Place
My God I'm a Nerd
While most of our time at the National Wax Museum was spent taking ridiculously fun photos with fictional characters, there were also some interesting things about the historical ones that I want to make note of.

Me in a Viking Raid
There was clear historical bias in the Time Vaults section.  The Vikings were purely depicted as barbarians who killed innocent monks.  While this undoubtedly did happen, they would more often ransom abbots and there was no note about the art style etc. of the Vikings.  However, the clearest bias was present in the more recent historical figures.  There was a black and tan, a man hired by the British government in 1920 or 1921 to help try and stop the Irish revolution, who hurled horrible insults at us as we walked down the hallway while Irish nationalists were portrayed as very dignified characters.  This, again, is not to say that there wasn't some truth to the portrayals, but rather that there was still a clear bias in them.  To be fair a similar museum in the US would probably have a similar bias, so this is not a critique, merely something I found interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment